The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Free Vacations – Travel Free Plus Make Money Doing It: 6-9:30 p.m. Thursday, May 15, $48.
• Beauty Nite Prom Prep: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursday, May 15, $60.
• SMART Technology in the Classroom Level 1: 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, June 10-12, $125.
Green Hope PTSA
The Green Hope High School PTSA in Cary is looking for officers, committee chairs and volunteers for the 2014-15 school year. For details, email Dee Deanhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local students earn Park Scholarships
Several local high school seniors earned N.C. State University Park Scholarships:
• Madeline Finnegan of Apex, a student at the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics. Madeline is the daughter of Stephen and Carla Finnegan. She plans to study mathematics in college.
• Gautam Nagaraj of Cary, a student at Raleigh Charter High School. Gautam is the son of Shubha and Ramakrishnan Nagaraj. He plans to study physics.
• Kathryn Sebastian of Morrisville, a student at Cary High School. Kathryn is the daughter of Joseph and Teresa Sebastian. She plans to study electrical engineering.
• Sonia Su of Cary, a student at William G. Enloe High School. Sonia is the daughter of Keli Su and Huey-Lin Ni. She plans to study food science.
• Dawson Tripp of Cary, a student at Athens Drive High School. Dawson is the son of Reid and Angela Tripp. He plans to study engineering.
Cary students study abroad
Yasmin Khera and Joseph Kleinhenz were chosen to study abroad as UNC-Chapel Hill Phillips Ambassadors. Khera, the daughter of Jas Khera and Anne Reynolds of Cary, will study in India. Kleinhenz, the son of John Kleinhenz and Mahin Sahih of Cary, will study in China.
• Salem Middle School of Apex held an end-of-the-year chess tournament. Anand Bhatt won first place, Ashwin Lingaraj won second place, Shreyas Bellary won third, Neil Vakharia won fourth, and Eric Wagner, Ian Harrison and Erin Thomas tied for fifth.
• Turner Creek Elementary School of Cary also held an end-of-year chess tournament. Several students won first place in their divisions: Aditya Pillutla, Jaitan Singh, Josh Bhatt and Jake Docherty.
Highcroft Drive student wins writing contest
Riya Shah, a second-grade student at Highcroft Drive Elementary School in Cary, won UNC-TV’s Just for Kids 2014 PBS KIDS Writers Contest for her grade level for the second year in a row by writing and illustrating her own story. Riya won a visit with Roo, the UNC-TV mascot, for her school. For details, go to www.unctv.org/content/kids/contest/writers.
Holly Ridge student featured in Science Buddies
Ashleigh Nicoll, a student at Holly Ridge Elementary School in Holly Springs, and her projects on astronomy and astrophysics were featured on the Science Buddies website. To read the article, go to bit.ly/SEJruz.
Friends of the Page-Walker scholarship
High school seniors in Cary can apply for a $750 scholarship from the Friends of the Page-Walker, which advocates for the Page-Walker Arts & History Center in Cary.
The scholarship is awarded annually to a Cary resident who displays an aptitude and interest in history and the humanities. The money can be used for any education expenses. Applications are available online at www.friendsofpagewalker.org. The deadline to apply is May 15, and the award will be presented at the June 4 board meeting.
Cary High Spring Choral Concert
The fine arts department of Cary High School will present its Spring Choral Concert at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 15, in the school auditorium at 638 Walnut St., Cary. Admission costs $5 for adults and $2 for students, up to $15 per family.
IMProv at Cary High School
Students will perform in competitive IMProv shows at 7 p.m. one Friday a month through May in the drama studio at Cary High School, 638 Walnut St. The last show will be on May 16. Admission is $2.
Green Hope High School’s PTSA is looking for volunteers for Falcon Night, an after-prom party on Saturday, May 17. If you would like to help, sign up online at bit.ly/1iDVuCN.
Falcon Night will be from 10:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, May 17, at Buffaloe Lanes, 151 High House Road, Cary. There will be bowling, arcade games, pizza and giveaways.
Memorial Day program
Holly Grove Elementary School will host its third annual Memorial Day Community Program at 9:30 a.m. Friday, May 23, at 1451 Avent Ferry Road, Holly Springs. Students and the community will learn about duty, honor and service. There will be a Memorial Wall, presentations and performances by students, Civil Air Patrol cadets, and the Holly Grove Middle School band. For details, call the school at 919-577-1700.
Green Hope High School’s Baccalaureate service for the class of 2014 will be from 4-5 p.m. Sunday, June 1, in the school auditorium, 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. Mike Hall will speak. RSVP by Sunday, May 25, to email@example.com.
Send School Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.