First Baptist Church will host a nonpartisan forum for local political candidates at 1 p.m. Sunday, April 6, at 105 N. West St., Fuquay-Varina.
Explore the Greenways
All ages and skill levels can explore Carys greenways from 2-3 p.m. on weekends in April. Heres the schedule:
• Sunday, April 6: The track at Mills Park Middle School, 441 Mills Park Drive, Cary.
• Sunday, April 13: Marla Dorrel Park, 111 Thurston Drive, Cary.
• Saturday, April 19: Buehler Picnic Shelter at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road, Cary.
• Saturday, April 27: Thomas Brooks Park, 9008 Green Level Church Road, Cary.
Running Over Cancer
The Ravenscroft Schools running club will host the second annual Running Over Cancer 5K walk and run at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, April 6, at WakeMed Soccer Park, 940 E. Chatham St., Cary. The event will raise money for the American Cancer Society. Registration, including a shirt, prizes, food and water, costs $30. For details and registration, go to www.runningovercancer.com.
Children ages 4 to 6 will explore nature in a class from 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 8, at Bass Lake Park, 900 Bass Lake Road, Holly Springs. Register in advance for $4 for residents and $6 for non-residents by calling 919-557-2496.
Green Level West Road workshop
Cary residents can share suggestions, ideas and questions on plans to widen Green Level West Road in a drop-in session from 4:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 8, at Fire Station 8, 408 Mills Park Drive, Cary. For information on the project, go to bit.ly/1m3ZtXA.
Turkish Cooking: Meze Night
Learn to make sesame rounds, poached eggs, Turkish tabuli, hummus, feta cheese balls and sambali at Turkish Cooking: Meze Night from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 8, at the Turkish House, 303 E. Durham Road, suite F, Cary. To register for $25, call 919-219-2516 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For details, go to www.ata-nc.org/p/spring-2014-cooking-classes.
Lisa Carter will talk about her new book, Beneath a Navajo Moon, at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 8, at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Zoning map open house
Morrisville will host an open house on the draft Unified Development Ordinance Zoning Map from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 10, at 100 Town Hall Drive. For details, go to www.townofmorrisville.org/index.aspx?nid=634.
Contemporary Book Group
The Contemporary Book Group will talk about Plainsong by Kent Haruf at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 10, at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Neighborhood yard sale
The Shepherds Vineyard neighborhood of Apex will host a yard sale from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 12. In case of bad weather, the event will be Saturday, April 19. For details, go to www.shepherdsvineyard.us.
Breakfast with the Bunny
The Cary Teen Council will host Breakfast with the Bunny before Carys Easter egg hunt from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 12, in the Kiwanis Shelter at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road, Cary. Tickets must be bought in advance for $4 for ages 10 and older, $3 for ages 3 to 9 and free for kids under 2 at the Herbert C. Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave., Cary. Ages 9 and younger must come with a parent. For details, call 919-460-4965.
Apex will offer free paper shredding from 9 a.m. to noon, or until the truck of shredded documents is full, on Saturday, April 12, at the Apex Police Department, 205 Saunders St. Only documents with personal, identifying information will be shredded, such as bills or old checks. Each person can bring up to three small bags or boxes of paper.
Spring Litter Sweep
Volunteer for Carys Spring Litter Sweep from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at sites in Cary. Tools are provided. To register for a shift, call 919-469-4301. For details, go to www.townofcary.org.
Triangle Sisters in Crime workshop
Triangle Sisters in Crime, a group of mystery writers, will host A Deadly-Good Writing Workshop from 9:15 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary. Register for $65 by Wednesday, April 9, at www.trianglesinc.com/workshop.html.
Easter egg hunts
• The Holly Springs Spring Fling will be Saturday, April 12, at Sugg Farm Park on Grigsby Avenue. There will be a community yard sale from 8 a.m. to noon. Register for a spot for $5 by Tuesday, April 8. Kids activities will start at 10 a.m. The Easter egg hunt for ages 8 and younger will begin at noon. For details or yard sale registration, call Julie Tew at 919-557-9603. For details, go to www.hollyspringsnc.us.
• Apex will host an Easter egg hunt from 10-11 a.m. Saturday, April 12, on the Town Hall Campus on Hunter Street. Bring a basket.
• Cary will host an Easter egg hunt for ages 10 and younger at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. for ages 3 and younger, 10:20 a.m. and 1:50 p.m. for ages 4 to 6 and 10:40 a.m. and 2:10 p.m. for ages 7 to 10 Saturday, April 12, at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road. Flow Circus will give magic shows after the egg hunts at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. in the Sertoma Amphitheatre. For details, go to www.townofcary.org.
• Fuquay-Varina will host an Easter egg hunt from 10-11 a.m. Saturday, April 12, at South Park, 900 S. Main St.
• Cary will host the third annual Easter Eggstravaganza egg hunt for kids with disabilities who are 12 years old or younger from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road, Cary. Register at any Cary community center or at classweb.townofcary.org. Bring a basket. For more information, call 919-469-4100 or go to www.townofcary.org.
• Carys Egg Hunt Spectacular for ages 55 and up will be from 2-4 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at the Cary Senior Center, 120 Maury Odell Place. Register by Monday, April 7, at the Cary Senior Center, any Cary community center or classweb.townofcary.org. Bring a basket. For details, call 919-469-4081.
• Morrisville will host an Easter egg hunt for ages 2 to 10 from 9:30 a.m. to noon Friday, April 18, at Morrisville Community Park, 1520 Morrisville Parkway. There will be food trucks, a bounce house, face painting and more kids activities. Kids will be divided by age into egg hunts on different fields; check in at the concession stand for information on your childs field. For details, go to www.ci.morrisville.nc.us.
Morrisville will host its annual Green Day of document shredding, recycling, seed planting and environmental education from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 12, along Town Hall Drive. For details, go to www.townofmorrisville.org/index.aspx?nid=708.
Downtown Candy Hop
Kids can meet the Easter Bunny and collect candy from stores from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 12, in downtown Fuquay-Varina.
Koka Booth Amphitheatre will host the Great Grapes! wine and food festival from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. VIP tickets cost $39 in advance and $49 the day of the festival. Regular admission costs $26 in advance and $32 the day of the festival. Designated driver tickets cost $20. For details, go to www.uncorkthefun.com.
Barnes & Noble will host a Little Critter costume visit and story time at 2 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Nazim Hikmet Poetry Festival
The annual Nazim Hikmet Poetry Festival with winners of the Nazim Hikmet Poetry Competition will be from 2-9 p.m. Sunday, April 12, at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary. There will be poetry readings, a reception and poets from around the world. For details, go to www.nazimhikmetpoetryfestival.org.
Whats Great About You
Janet Bauer will teach parents and teachers to recognize students talents with her book, Whats Great About You, at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Benefit for Interact
A benefit concert for InterAct, a nonprofit that helps victims and survivors of domestic violence, rape and sexual assault, will be from 3-11 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at Waverly Place Commons on Kildaire Farm Road in Cary. Admission is free, and VIP tickets cost $100. For more information and the list of performers, go to www.nclocalmusic.com/2014-benefit-for-interact.
Healthy Homes Series
Cary-based nonprofit Fit & Able Productions Healthy Homes Series will include discussions on the third Tuesday of each month from 9:30-11 a.m. in the Maple Room of the Bond Park Community Center at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 150 Metro Park Drive, Cary. For details, email email@example.com. Heres the upcoming schedule of topics:
• April: Financial health: insurance, financial/estate planning and real estate
• May: Emergency preparedness
Writing discussion with Carrie Knowles
Carrie Knowles will talk about writing short fiction and her new book, Ashoans Rug, at 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
African-American Book Group
The African-American Book Group will talk about Becoming Dad by Leon Pitts Jr. at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Childrens Day Festival
The Childrens Day Festival of Cary will be from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 19, at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road. The event is free. For details, go to kids.ata-nc.org.
Barnes & Noble will host Its An Orange Aardvark story time and activity for kids at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 24, at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
N.P. Simpson at Barnes & Noble
N.P. Simpson will talk about B.O.Q., her new novel, at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 24, at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Breakfast in Bed Race
The Caring Community Foundations Breakfast in Bed Race to raise money for local cancer patients will be Saturday, April 26, on Academy Street in Cary. Pits open at 6:30 a.m., the bed parade is at 8:30 a.m., and races start at 9 a.m. Five-person teams will design, build and race beds. There will also be kids activities, music and local food trucks. Team registration costs $130; teams are encouraged to get donations. For details, go to www.caringcommunityfoundation.org/breakfast-in-bed-race.
Saturday for Kids
Barnes & Nobles Saturday for Kids at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 26, will celebrate the 45th anniversary of Eric Carles The Very Hungry Caterpillar at 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Fashion for Food
The second annual Fashion for Food fashion show and luncheon fundraiser for the Holly Springs Food Cupboard will be at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, April 26, at Sunrise United Methodist Church, 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs. Tickets cost $25, and all of the money from ticket prices will be given to the Food Cupboard. For more information, contact Mary at 919-285-9191 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nearly New consignment sale
The Nearly New kids clothes and more consignment sale will be from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, April 30, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 1, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, May 2, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 3, at High House Crossing, 2791 N.C. 55, Cary. Admission is free. For details, go to www.nearlynewkidsclothes.com.
National Day of Prayer
Fuquay-Varina will host a National Day of Prayer service at noon Thursday, May 1, at Town Hall, 401 Old Honeycutt Road.
Morrisville CERT Basic Training Class
The Morrisville Community Emergency Response Team will hold a Basic Training Class for residents who want to get involved in the program. Class sessions are from 6:30-10 p.m. Thursday, May 1, 6-10 p.m. Friday, May 2, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, May 3, and 2:30-5 p.m. Sunday, May 4, at Fire Station #1, 200 Town Hall Drive. For details or registration, contact Shandy Padgett at 919-463-6122 or email@example.com.
Sequins and Spurs Gala
The ninth annual Sequins and Spurs Gala fundraiser for nonprofit Horse and Buddy will be Friday, May 2, at Prestonwood Country Club, 300 Prestonwood Parkway, Cary. Tickets cost $100 at www.horseandbuddy.org/gala.htm.
Holly Springs Farmers Market
The Holly Springs Farmers Market grand opening for the new season will be from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, May 3, in downtown Holly Springs.
Purple Cloth 5K and Kids Dash
The third annual Purple Cloth 5K and Kids Dash, organized by Genesis United Methodist Church in Cary to raise money for the community-service programs of Dorcas Ministries, will be on Saturday, May 3, at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road, Cary. Last years three-mile run for all ages raised $3,500. There will be a bounce house for kids, food, awards, a raffle and an award for the best purple outfit.
For details, go to www.purplecloth5k.com. Registration for the 5K costs $25; the Kids Dash costs $5. Register in person at Genesis United Methodist Church, 850 High House Road, Cary. To register online, search for purple cloth at sportoften.com.
Send Community Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.