The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Cake Decorating for Beginners I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 27-Feb. 17, $100.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 27-March 10, $100.
• Medical Coding I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Jan. 27-March 5, $135.
• You’re on the Air ... How to Really Make it in Voice-Overs: 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28, $35.
• Medical Terminology: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 3-April 21, $135.
• Internet Skills and Shortcuts: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 4, $35.
• TOEFL Preparation: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 4-April 8, $135.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Spanish for School Personnel (Lessons 0-5): 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 28-April 15, $169.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 29-March 12, $100.
• Elementary Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 29-March 12, $100.
• Medical Billing I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 3-April 21, $135.
• How to Operate a Home-based Bakery: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 4-25, $200.
Student exchange program
World Heritage Student Exchange Program is looking for host families for high school boys and girls from Scandinavia, France, Germany, Italy, Thailand, China, South Korea and former Soviet Republics. Couples, single parents and families with or without children can host a teenager for the 2014-15 school year. To apply, call local area representative Erin Kalbarczyk at 919-924-4679 or 1-800-888-9040, or go to www.whHosts.com.
NC School Counselors of the Year
Kerri Bridges of Salem Middle School and Lizbeth Fillard of Middle Creek Elementary School in Apex earned the award of NC School Counselor of the Year.
Superintendent’s Direct Line
Wake County schools Superintendent James Merrill will meet with parents, school system employees and the public from 4:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 29, in the school auditorium at Panther Creek High School, 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary. People interested in speaking at the event can begin signing up at 4 p.m. to speak for three minutes. The Superintendent’s Direct Line for employees will be from 4:30-6 p.m. Sign-up for speakers continues during a break from 6-6:30 p.m. The Superintendent’s Direct Line for parents and the public will be from 6:30-8 p.m.
IMProv at Cary High School
Students will perform in competitive IMProv shows at 7 p.m. one Friday a month through May in the drama studio at Cary High School, 638 Walnut St. Shows will be Jan. 24, Feb. 14, March 21, April 11 and May 16. Admission is $2.
Dr. Aureen Wagner will lead a workshop for parents of kids with anxiety disorders or other problems with anxiety from 7-9 p.m. Monday, Jan. 27, at the Davis Drive Middle School auditorium, 2100 Davis Drive, Cary. To register, go to bit.ly/1dkEWsM.
College financial aid officers and specialists will help high school seniors and their families submit their Free Application Federal Student Aid forms online during FAFSA Day, Saturday, Feb. 22, at State Employees’ Credit Union locations in Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina and Holly Springs. For details and registration, call 866-866-CFNC or go to www.cfnc.org/fafsaday.
Cardinal Charter Academy information sessions
Cardinal Charter Academy, a new charter school for kindergarten through sixth grade, will open in the fall at 1020 St. Charles Place, Cary. Information sessions for parents and community members will be from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 6 and 20, and Tuesday, Feb. 25, at the Cary Senior Center, 120 Maury Odell Place, Cary. Enrollment starts on Saturday, Feb. 1. For more information, go to www.cardinalcharter.org.
Send School Notes to email@example.com.