The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. For details, call 919-431-7593 or visit www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Knife Skills I, 7-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, free.
• Introducing Parents to the K-12 PowerSchool’s Parent Portal/Introduciendo el Portal de Padres K-12 de Powerschool, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, free.
• Gluten-Free Baking I, 7-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, $45.
• Educating the Fearful Flyer: Why Aren’t We Falling?: 6:30-9: p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, $59.
• Basics of Cooking I: 7-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Oct. 14-Nov. 4, $100.
• College is Possible/La universidad es posible: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15, free.
• Zumba Basic Fitness: 6:30-7:45 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 15-Dec. 3, $65.
• Cooking in Spanish: 7-9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Oct. 16-Nov. 6, $100.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Understanding Special Education/Entendiendo el Programa de Educación Especial, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, free.
• Painting Oil Portraits with an Academic Approach: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 1-Nov. 19, $105.
• Introducing Parents to the K-12 PowerSchool’s Parent Portal/Introduciendo el Portal de Padres K-12 de Powerschool, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, free.
• Using Social Media for Business Success: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Oct. 2-Oct. 16, $45.
• Problem Solving for Beginner Writers, 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 8, $75.
• SPICE for Success: You only get one chance to make a first impression!: 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 8-Oct. 29, $107.
Lufkin Road Middle School participates in Hunger Action Month
To raise awareness about hunger, Lufkin Road Middle School students, teachers and staff are hosting a canned-goods drive during September, which is Hunger Action Month for the Feeding America network of food banks.
The Green Hope High School computer club has organized a drive during the month of September to collect unwanted electronics, which will be donated to the Kramden Institute. Electronics can be donated in Room 2000 at Green Hope High School, the school commons, at sports events and at the car pool line. For details on the Kramden Institute, go to kramden.org.
Panther Creek Invitational
The sixth annual Panther Creek Invitational marching band competition will be on Saturday, Sept. 28, at the school stadium, 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary. Gates open at 2 p.m.; the first band is set to perform at 4 p.m. General admission tickets cost $10; $5 for children and senior citizens; free for children under 4.
The event suffered financial losses last year, when the competition was canceled due to bad weather. This year, Panther Creek marching band members are working toward a trip to compete in the Bands of America competition in Indianapolis.
For details, go to http://panthercreekband.org/events/panther-creek-invitational.
Middle Creek High School will host a cheerleading clinic from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, in the gymnasium at the school, 123 Middle Creek Park Ave., Apex. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. A parent exhibition begins at 2:30 p.m.
Participants will learn cheers, chants, dances, tumbling, stunts and jumps. Lunch is provided, along with a T-shirt, photo and spirit bag. Participants will cheer at the Middle Creek football game on Oct. 4.
Registration costs $45 in advance; $50 at the door. Contact Coach Booker at TBOKR12@gmail.com.
Anxiety workshop for parents
Dr. Aureen Pinto Wagner, a clinical child psychologist who uses methods like cognitive behavioral therapy to treat anxiety disorders, will lead a workshop for parents of children and teens who struggle with anxiety from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, at St. Michael the Archangel Gallery Centre, 804 High House Road, Cary. For details, go to www.anxietywellness.com.
Better Business Bureau offers scholarships
The Better Business Bureau of eastern North Carolina will accept scholarship applications until 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 29. Scholarship prizes are $1,000 to $2,000. For details, go to www.bbbscholarship.org.
Send School Notes to email@example.com.