The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. For details, call 919-431-7593 or visit www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Basic Conversational Korean I, 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 11-Nov. 13, $130.
• Basic Conversational French I, 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $130.
• Basic Conversational German I, 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $130.
• Basic Conversational Chinese I, 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 18-Nov. 20, $130.
• Basic Conversational Italian I, 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 18-Nov. 11, $130.
• Basic Conversational Portuguese I, 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 18-Nov. 20, $130.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Los componentes clave de la participación de los padres en la educación de su hijos, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 11, free.
• Literatura Y Espanol II, 6:30-9 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 12-Dec. 5, $130.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I, 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 11-Oct. 23, $100.
• From Culture Shock to Cultural Insight for Expat Spouses, 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 12-Oct. 3, $100.
• Cómo entender los Cursos Comunes y los Estándares Esenciales, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, free.
• How to Understand Common Core and Essential Standards, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, free.
Weatherstone Elementary PTA receives national award
The Weatherstone Elementary School Parent Teacher Association was recognized by PTO Today as the Parent Group of the Year for Outstanding Focus on Academics and Enrichment for its Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program.
Cary student earns Pentair Scholarship
Alec Jacobsson of Cary was a winner of Pentair Ltd.s 2013 Scholarship, which will support him as he begins college at Appalachian State University.
Panther Creek student participates in mock Mars mission with NASA
Susan Bowen, a student at Panther Creek High School, spent a week at NASA in the Women in STEM High School Aerospace Scholars (WISH) project in July. She worked in a team with NASA mentors to plan a robotics and radiation mission on Mars. For details, go to wish.aerospacescholars.org.
Boosterthon at Morrisville Elementary
Morrisville Elementary School hosted a Boosterthon Fun Run event on Tuesday and will host a second event on Friday, Sept. 13. The Boosterthon Fun Run is a national nine-day program that raises money for education and aims to inspire students to live healthy lives. This years theme, Camp High Five, challenges students to be friends instead of bullies.
Reggie Dabbs to speak at Green Hope High School
Reggie Dabbs will speak to parents of Green Hope High School students at 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16, in the schools auditorium. He will speak about anxiety, depression, bullying and other stressors in teenagers lives.
The Green Hope High School computer club has organized a drive during the month of September to collect unwanted electronics, which will be donated to the Kramden Institute. Electronics can be donated in Room 2000 at Green Hope High School, the school commons, at sports events and at the car pool line. For details on the Kramden Institute, go to kramden.org.
Panther Creek Invitational
The sixth annual Panther Creek Invitational marching band competition will be on Saturday, Sept. 28, at the school stadium, 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary. Gates open at 2 p.m.; the first band is set to perform at 4 p.m. General admission tickets cost $10; $5 for children and senior citizens; free for children under 4.
The event suffered financial losses last year, when the competition was canceled due to bad weather. This year, Panther Creek marching band members are working toward a trip to compete in the Bands of America competition in Indianapolis.
For details, go to http://panthercreekband.org/events/panther-creek-invitational.
Middle Creek High School will host a cheerleading clinic from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, in the gymnasium at the school, 123 Middle Creek Park Ave., Apex. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. A parent exhibition begins at 2:30 p.m.
Participants will learn cheers, chants, dances, tumbling, stunts and jumps. Lunch is provided, along with a T-shirt, photo and spirit bag. Participants will cheer at the Middle Creek football game on Oct. 4.
Registration costs $45 in advance; $50 at the door. Contact Coach Booker at TBOKR12@gmail.com.
Workshop for Brains and Bodies Award
Elementary, middle and high schools in Wake County may apply for the Advocates for Health in Action (AHA) Brains and Bodies Award, which recognizes schools that promote health. AHA will hold workshops about the award for school administrators, teachers and parents from 10 to 11 a.m. and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, at 1603 Hillsborough St., Raleigh.
Farmington Woods open house
Farmington Woods Elementary School will hold information sessions for parents at 1413 Hampton Valley Road, Cary.
• Kindergarten to second grade: 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17.
• Third to fifth grade: 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19.
Send School Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.