National Dog Day contests
Celebrate National Dog Day with a contest for the best dog tricks in Wake County from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Crowder District Park, 4709 Ten-Ten Road, Apex. Contests will include youth and adult categories for people and dogs. For details, call 919-622-2850.
Holly Springs will host a “Lake Dipping” program for kids ages 3 and up from 3 to 5 p.m. at Bass Lake Park, 900 Bass Lake Park Road, Holly Springs. Children will learn about the animals of Bass Lake. Adults must accompany children. Registration is required. Call 919-557-2496.
Fuquay-Varina Farmers Market
The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina is open from 3 to 6 p.m. at Centennial Square on the corner of North Main and East Academy streets. For details, visit www. growers-market.org.
Pickin’ in the Pines Bluegrass Series
Old Habits will perform at 5:30 p.m. at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. Tickets are $5; kids 12 and under are admitted for free. Buy tickets at the venue or at www.etix.com. Picnics, pets, lawn chairs, blankets and cameras are allowed. Alcohol is prohibited.
Book discussion at Barnes & Noble
Katharine Ashe will discuss her new historical romance novel, “I Married the Duke: The Prince Catchers,” at 7 p.m. at Barnes & Noble, 760 SE Maynard Road, Cary.
Anniversary party for Cary Gallery of Artists
Celebrate the eighth anniversary of the Cary Gallery of Artists with art and cake from 6 to 9 p.m. at 200 S. Academy St., Suite 120, Cary. The gallery will also honor one of its founders, Winnie Ferguson, with a feature show and reception. For information about the gallery, go to http:// carygalleryofartists.org.
The Paige-Walker Arts and History Center will host receptions for Scott Mais’s photography and Barbara Ya-Li Wen’s paintings from 6 to 8 p.m. at 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary.
‘Lineage’ art show reception
The Halle Cultural Arts Center will host a reception for “Lineage,” its juried art show, from 6 to 8 p.m. at 237 N. Salem St., Apex. “Lineage” shows the personal influences and changes in artists’ work. The show will run until Friday, Oct. 4.
Open house at Waverly Artists Group
The Waverly Artists Group will host an open house with music, refreshments, an auction and a watercolor painting demonstration by Ken Hobson from 6 to 9 p.m. at 302 Colonades Way, Suite 209, Cary. For details, go to www.waverlyartistsgroup.com.
Saturday for Kids
Saturday for Kids at Barnes & Noble will provide hands-on learning activities for ages 3 to 7 at 2 p.m. at 760 SE Maynard Road.
• The Cary Downtown Farmers Market is open from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 301 S. Academy St., Cary. For details, go to www. caryfarmersmarket.com.
• The Western Wake Farmers’ Market is open from 8 a.m. to noon at 1225 Morrisville-Carpenter Road, Cary. For details, go to www.westernwakefarmersmarket.org.
• The Holly Springs Farmers Market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in downtown Holly Springs. For details, go to www.hollyspringsnc.us.
• The Apex Farmers Market is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 220 N. Salem St., Apex. For details, visit www.apexfarmersmarket.com.
• The Growers Market of Fuquay-Varina is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Centennial Square, corner of North Main and East Academy streets. For details, visit www. growers-market.org.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.