The Wake County Public School System will offer these classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. For details, call 919-431-7593 or visit www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Basics of Baking, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, July 1-22, $100
• Basics of Cooking, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, July 3-24, $100
• SMART Board Technology in the Classroom, 6:45 to 9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, July 9-16, $125
• Youre on the Air How to Really Make it in Voice-overs, 7 to 9 p.m. Monday, July 22, $35
Wake Electric offering grant programs
Teachers can apply for grants up to $3,000 in Wake Electrics Classroom Technology Awards grant program and the Bright Ideas grant program until Sept. 12 for the 2013-14 school year. Eligible teachers are those who work in public schools in Durham, Franklin, Granville, Johnston, Nash, Vance and Wake counties.
• Classroom Technology Award grants will be given in any discipline for specific technology, such as computers, digital cameras, scanners and software. To apply, call 919-863-6312 or visit www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.
• Bright Ideas grants will be awarded to teachers for creative, hands-on classroom projects that would not otherwise be funded. To apply, teachers must include a budget, explain the creative elements, implementation, goals and evaluation of the project, and have approval from the school principal. Applications will be judged in a competitive evaluation process. For details, visit www.ncbrightideas.com.
Exchange program seeking host families
World Heritage Student Exchange Program, a nonprofit organization, is seeking local host families in Wake County for high school-age boys and girls from Spain, Germany, Thailand, Norway, China, Russia, France, the former Soviet Republics, Denmark, Italy, Sweden and more.
Host families are asked to include the student as a member of their family. Couples, single parents and families with and without children in the home are all encouraged to host. Each World Heritage exchange student is fully insured, brings his or her own personal spending money and expects to contribute to household responsibilities.
For details, contact Erin Kalbarczyk at 919-924-4679 or visit www.whHosts.com.
Send School Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.