Cary Homeschoolers student showcase
The Cary Homeschoolers will present a student showcase from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, June 1, at the Middle Creek Community Center, 123 Middle Creek Park Ave., Apex. Participants can view work produced over the past year by area homeschool students and talk to their parents. The FIRST Lego League and FIRST Robotics Competition teams will present special exhibits. To pre-register, visit homeschoolshowcase.org.
Green Hope High School senior and graduation activities
Green Hope High School will host a variety of activities for the class of 2013:
• Sunday, June 3: Senior awards, class picture and field day. Seniors should arrive at the gym at 7:45 a.m. The senior-awards ceremony will be at 8:30 a.m. in the main gym, with the class picture at 9:30 a.m. Field day will be from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Wednesday, June 5: Graduation rehearsal will be from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Raleigh Convention Center, 500 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh. Tickets will be distributed to each student.
• Sunday, June 9: Baccalaureate ceremony. Line-up begins at 2:30 p.m. A non-denominational ceremony will be from 3 to 4 p.m. at Westwood Baptist Church, 200 Westhigh St., Cary. A reception will follow the ceremony.
• Tuesday, June 11: Graduation. Seniors should check in at 7 a.m. The ceremony will begin at 8 a.m. at the Raleigh Convention Center, 500 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. For details, call 919-431-7593 or visit www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• My Mediterranean, 7 to 9:30 p.m. June 3, $45
• Sewing: Beginning I, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays, June 3-July 22, $90
• American Cooking 101 for Childcare Providers, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, June 4-July 23, $100
• Sign Language I Part A, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, June 4-July 23, $90
• Sign Language I Part C, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Tuesdays, June 4-July 23, $90
• Personal Computer and Windows Introduction, 6:45 to 9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, June 4-25, $85
• Line Dancing for Beginners, 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 4-July 30, $90
• A Passport to Italy, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 5, $45
• Simple Web Page Design, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Thursdays, June 6-20, $85
• SMART Board Technology in the Classroom, 6:45 to 9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, June 6-13, $125
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Vegetarian Cooking, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays, June 3-July 29, $100
• Introduction to Professional Acting and Auditioning, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, June 4-July 23, $90
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy will hold tours of its K-5 program for prospective students and families from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesday, June 4, at 1177 Ambergate Station, Apex. For details, visit www.ThalesAcademy.org.
Panther Creek golf tournament
The Panther Creek Athletic Booster Club will hold its fourth annual Catamount Classic Golf Outing at 1 p.m. Friday, June 14, at The Preserve at Jordan Lake Golf Club, 840 The Preserve Trail, Chapel Hill. The first 100 players to sign up will receive lunch, dinner and a complimentary round at the Preserve or Chapel Ridge at a later date. Sponsors and volunteers also are needed. To sign up, email email@example.com or visit www.panthercreekathletics.com/Store.
Little Angels Preparatory School commencement
Little Angels Preparatory School will hold commencement exercises for the class of 2013 at 3 p.m. Friday, June 14, at 724 S. Main St., Fuquay-Varina. Jasmine A. Brown, a student at N.C. State University, will be the guest speaker. Refreshments will be served.
Cary student awarded $1,000 scholarship
Jakini Kauba of Cary is one of 42 Triangle-area students awarded $1,000 scholarships from Ronald McDonald House Charities of North Carolina and local McDonald’s owners/operators for outstanding academic achievement and community involvement.
All scholarship recipients were recognized at an awards reception on May 22. They were chosen based on their leadership skills, academic success, community involvement, financial need and a personal essay describing how they intend to make a difference in society.
Thales Academy students accepted to international school
Sixth-grader Grace Zhou and third-grader George Zhou have been accepted to the Hong Kong International School located in Hong Kong, China. Both students currently attend Thales Academy in Apex and are relocating to China with their family.
Hong Kong International School is a private international day school. The school serves more than 2,600 students from more than 40 nations and is ranked in the top 10 international schools in Hong Kong.
Wake Electric offering grant programs
Teachers can apply for grants up to $3,000 in Wake Electric’s Classroom Technology Awards grant program and the Bright Ideas grant program for the 2013-14 school year until Sept. 12. Those eligible include public school K-12 teachers working in Durham, Franklin, Granville, Johnston, Nash, Vance and Wake counties.
• Classroom Technology Award grants will be awarded in any discipline for specific technology such as computers, digital cameras, scanners and software. The technology must benefit the students in the classroom. To apply, call 919-863-6312 or visit www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.
• Bright Ideas grants will be awarded directly to teachers for creative, hands-on classroom projects that would not otherwise be funded. To apply, teachers must include a budget, explain the creative elements, implementation, goals and evaluation of the project, and have approval from the school principal. Applications will be judged in a competitive evaluation process. For details, visit www.ncbrightideas.com.