Published: Jul 27, 2012 02:21 PM
Modified: Jul 27, 2012 02:22 PM
The women’s semi-professional basketball team that was lined up to play this summer at the Herb C. Young Center could have been wrapping up its season last week.
Instead, the RDU Sting only lasted three games – all home contests before notifying the town that it would not be playing any more games in Cary after Memorial Day weekend.
“They notified us a couple weeks ago that they were not going to be playing the rest of their home games,” said Dwayne Jones, town of Cary recreation manager.
Four games later, the Sting appears to have forfeited the rest of its season. On the Women’s Blue Chip Basketball League website, four games are listed as incomplete after the Sting’s 0-7 start.
Calls made to the Sting’s office were not immediately returned, but another league player said she was told the team folded.
The Sting’s eighth game, scheduled for June 30 in Charleston, S.C., was listed by that team’s Twitter account as being canceled “due to game forfeit by the opposing team.” The Sting’s opponents for its ninth, 10th and 11th games all list other games as having been completed, but not with the Sting.
The Sting had originally agreed to play five home games, paying the town about $400 to use the facility for each game, between the months of May and July. It had hoped to pay the town by landing sponsorships and generating ticket sales.
Its last game in Cary was May 26, and its last game of the season was June 23. The Sting’s players were unpaid, unlike the Cary Invasion – the minor league men’s basketball team that concluded its second season of play at the Young Center in June. Staff Writer Andy Kenney contributed to this report.